UIC Public Health Application
Current UIC students may apply to the School of Public Health for the BA in Public Health. Students should apply as inter-college transfer applicants when most of the prerequisite courses have been completed. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. Completion of the prerequisites is not a guarantee of admission to the BA in Public Health. To determine if you are ready to apply please consult your assigned pre-health advisor. Students wishing to apply to the School of Public Health as an undecided, public health student should meet with a pre-health advisor to determine their timeline.
The BA in Public Health has its own application along with supplemental forms, documents,and letter of recommendation required for admission.
The BA in Public Health application consists of several forms in addition to the individual components (transcript, resume, personal statement, letter of recommendation) that make up the Supplemental Application Packet. These must be completed and submitted along with the rest of your application.
Current UIC students do not need to submit the undergraduate application. The application fee is waived for current UIC undergraduates who apply with the supplemental application packet.
- Applicant Information Form – gives the reviewers basic information about the applicant. Do not skip sections even if they seem redundant.
- Prerequisite Self-Evaluation – this form requires that you list each prerequisite course you have taken and associate it with the appropriate prerequisite. This is especially helpful for general education requirements and courses taken outside of UIC.
- Request for Prerequisite Exception – applicants only need to submit this form if they will not have completed the prerequisite courses for the BA in public health before the semester they wish to enter the program. For example, if you wish to start in the School of Public Health in the fall semester, but you will not have completed PUBH 100 before that fall, you would need to complete this form.
GPA & Transcripts
- Students applying to the BA in Public Health should have a 2.75 (out of 4.0) cumulative GPA for the fullest consideration. However, meeting this GPA guideline does not guarantee admission.
- Applicants must include all transcripts with the application. UIC students should print their Academic History available for free online via my.UIC.edu.
- Any coursework from other institutions that appears on your UIC transcript does not need a separate transcript. However, if you have completed coursework that does not appear on your UIC record, you will need to submit an official transcript from that institution(s).
Resume and Personal Statement
|Applicants to the BA in Public Health must submit a resume for consideration. The resume should include work/employment history as well as any volunteer and/or community service experiences.||Applicants to the BA in Public Health must submit a personal statement as a part of their application materials. The personal statement should address (using specific examples) how the student's career goals and personal aspirations fit with the definition of public health provided in the personal statement prompt.|
Resume and Personal Statement review
Pre-health advisors are available to review students’ resume and/or personal statement. Requests must be submitted at least two weeks before the application deadline. Students are strongly encouraged to make use of this service.
Letter of Recommendation
Applicants are required to submit one letter of recommendation with their application. This letter should be from someone who can speak to your suitability to pursue and complete a baccalaureate degree in public health. This recommendation may be from a professional or academic reference (i.e., work or volunteer supervisor, course instructor, advisor, etc.).
Please note that the BA in Public Health will automatically disregard letters of recommendation from family or friends. Be thoughtful about your choices and cognizant of the timeline. Students are encouraged to watch the Letters of Recommendation webinar series before selecting a recommender.
Students who have completed 60 credits and all of the prerequisite courses for the BA in Public Health may apply to enter directly into the major. This option only accepts students for Fall start.
Students who have not yet completed 60 credits or who have a significant number of prerequisite courses left to take may elect to apply to the School of Public Health as a Public Health – undecided (Pre-Public Health) student; this does not guarantee entry into the major. This option accepts students for Fall and Spring entry.
Deadlines by date
|April 2 (for Fall start)||October 15 (for Spring start)|
|BA in Public Health||Public Health - Undecided (Pre-Public Health)|
|Public Health - Undecided (Pre-Public Health)|